How to eat anything… happily
You are certainly What you eat… and When you eat does make all the difference. But more than even that, I firmly believe ‘How you eat’ can help you lose weight. These are simple insights that have helped me a very great deal.
- You are not what you eat – you are what you think you eat! So if you are thinking of that tasty sweet but nibbling on a carrot – it does not work!!! Your body is lead by its mind and it will not feel satiated if you do not give it what it has already thought about creating a visual imagery, olfactory fragrance and over active taste buds in your mind’s eye. So you have to learn to control your mind!
- But your mind can never be taught to ‘not think’. So rather than trying to escape from the mental imagery of those ‘unhealthy’ options, it helps to combine ‘healthy’ options to the meal. For instance, if I desire a slice of Pizza, I will have a bowl of salad with it. Fifty percent problem solved!
- Your mind will not appreciate ‘giving up’ anything! Most certainly not the ‘comfort foods’. So rather than trying to concentrate on those, ‘add’ healthy foods into your daily diet. Ensure you have your fruits, vegetables and nuts without trying to negotiate on your comfort foods. Guilt will only make it even harder to avoid comfort foods.
- We very often confuse thirst with hunger. I always have a glass of water and wait fifteen minutes. Only if I am still hungry I have a snack. Else I know I was just confusing thirst for hunger.
- Most important - you have to chew every mouthful at least 30 times before your swallow! It is only when you chew your food that the enzymes get released. Only when enzymes are released, your body will be able to digest the food and take the required nutrition out of the food. Else, large chunks do not yield to the process of digestion and leaves your body ‘hungry’. The act of chewing also triggers the mind to recognize that you are eating and it gets satiated much earlier. Try it ! You will find that you actually do not need even half your normal quantity of food and yet feel much much more satiated.
Enjoy every meal for if you don’t, your body feels threatened for its very survival. That immediately triggers your sympathetic nervous system warning the already over active lipogenic enzymes to store more food for emergency in your fat cells!
By Gita Krishna Raj
CEO Maverick, Holistic Lifestyle coach C.H.E.K Institute USA, Metabolic Typing Advisor, Health excel UKTags: carbohydrates, carbs, diet, eating, fat, fats, fitness, food, health, healthy, lose weight, obesity, proteins, slim, weight